Magic Mineral Broth
With all the amazing properties in this Magic Mineral Broth, it's no wonder this is a healthy drink any time as well as an incredible base for all your soups or water-based culinary creations. Freezes well!This broth provides a strong background of nutrients and health supporting compounds that help the body prevent illness, heal from injuries and recover from stress-related dysfunction. Integrate common vegetables as well as shitake and reishi mushrooms, rosemary, astragalus, ginger and calendula into soups for optimum wellness this season and beyond.
- 3-4 medium onions
- 2 heads garlic
- 2-3 large or medium beets
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2-3 medium red or yellow potatoes
- 4 medium to large carrots
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 2 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3 large pieces dried reishi Ganoderma lucidum mushroom
- 4 large pieces dried astralagus Astralagus membranaceus root
- 2 tbsp dried calendula Calendula officinalis flowers
- sea salt to taste
- Cut the vegetables into 1-2 inch pieces, leaving skins on the onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots. Also leave leaves on carrots and celery, they are full of minerals! Cut garlic into large chunks at least 10 minutes prior to adding it to the pot.
- If desired, place reishi, astralagus, and calendula in a cloth bag that can easily be pulled out if the flavor becomes too strong for your taste.
- Combine all vegetables and herbs in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer, turn down to low, cover and cook gently for 4-6 hours. Add additional water if the vegetables become uncovered. Alternatively, all ingredients can be placed in a crock pot or instant pot and placed on a slow cook/low setting for 8 hours.
- Check the flavor of the broth periodically -- it should taste sweet. The reishi, astralagus, and calendula impart a slightly bitter flavor that is healthy for the body but may be too strong for some folks. If the broth is becoming too bitter for you, simply remove the cloth bag containing them.
- When cooking time has been reached and vegetables are very soft, turn off the heat. Allow broth to cool to a temperature that is comfortable to touch.
- Using a fine strainer or strainer bag, squeeze out the liquid from the vegetables. You should mash and squeeze the vegetables through the strainer or strainer bag until mostly pulp remains. The leftover liquid will be a concentrated, medicinal broth.
- Add salt to taste and enjoy as is, or use as the base for soups, rice, beans or any other water-based dish! Color changes according to ingredients.
- Magic Mineral Broth can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen for many months. Delicious cold or warmed up. For patients undergoing cancer treatment or recovering from illness or injuries, making this broth twice weekly provides an appropriate amount of broth for drinking and cooking.
- Special thanks to Rebecca Zollinger for giving us permission to publish this recipe.